Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Lesson 2 Challenge

 Pick one customer service question and write 1-2 paragraphs in your blog about what actions you would take.

·         A customer shows you a “too good to be true” email about getting free money from Nigeria, and asks you to help them seal the deal with their banking information.

This situation has occurred in the library quite a few times and each time I must stop myself from laughing out loud. I have never been one to play the lottery or gamble but I understand the thrill of winning and sympathize with anyone who is hooked by this phishing scam. 

Whenever this is shown to me I quickly ask if they have answered back with any personal information. If they say yes, I suggest they contact their bank to ensure they are not compromising their account. I calmly explain this is a common scam that has ruined many before them and that they must now start to protect themselves. 

If they say no, I congratulate them on their caution, inform them they are being targeted for a scam, help them report it and then advise they block the addressee. I have hosted Fraud Prevention programs in the past and try to hold onto the material they provided. I also give out the telephone number of the presenter from Frost Bank if they would like to talk to a Fraud Expert if they wish. 

No comments: