Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Lesson 3 Part 2 Challenge

LibGuides are what I would call "the icing on the cake." Not only do we have great resources and material, but this allows our professional staff to craft that information in a way that is relevant to our patrons and comes with a nice "librarian approved" sticker. I especially appreciate the EReader LibGuide that breaks down our many digital offerings based on type of device, format of data, troubleshooting and running Q&A.I have often referred this particular LibGuide to our savvy digital users who might need a little assistance and is not afraid to explore our site. I always mention the Q&A section and say "if you have a question, chances are someone has asked it before and we answered here." Now the staff LibGuides are a whole other thing. If the public LibGuides are the icing on the cake, these LibGuides are the "how to bake the cake." There is vital information that we need to do our jobs well. I use the Millennium LibGuide for basic questions about creating library cards, the Create Lists function and Holdings Editor guidelines. Even if I have already done X or Y procedure a hundred times, I check the LibGuide to ensure nothing is new or there isn't a better way to do it. I also rely on the Marketing LibGuide for flyer production and digital display formats. I turn to the Fiscal LibGuide for clarification on Refund Procedures and I visit the Reference LibGuide for technology tips and know-hows. Keep them coming SAPL staff.

No comments: